You don’t do anal sex?!? All the girls do it now.
— Statement made to a recently divorced woman from a guy she had started dating
When a friend of that woman relayed that comment to me, I rolled my eyes and shook my head.
Me: I hope she responded that ‘All guys aren’t going down on women for less than two hours at a time these days.’
My friend and I laughed, as we speculated as to why a guy would say that to a woman.
Male Friend: He’s just trying to test her boundaries.
Me: He’s trying to prey on her insecurities since she hasn’t dated in a while. It reminds me of those guys in college who would try to pressure a girl into bringing another woman into the bedroom by saying that all girls secretly fantasize about being with another woman.
Male Friend: What’s your website again? I need to send her your way. [I smile and pass him my card.]
There are certain dating rules – spoken and unspoken – that come to mind with this situation:
1. A woman never has to do anything that she doesn’t want to;
2. A woman never has to do anything that she doesn’t want to. (It’s like Fight Club. Some rules bear repeating);
3. There are quite a few guys who are just trying to get a woman into bed. (Does that apply to all men? Of course not. But, there are enough guys of this mindset that it’s worth mentioning);
4. Some guys will try to test women’s boundaries sexually and with respect to dating etiquette. (If a guy can just go over to have sex with a woman without taking her out on dates or giving her advance notice, he will do that);
5. Some women are okay with just having casual sex with men, but that’s not the norm for the majority of females; and
6. Some people are interested in trying anal sex and some aren’t. Some people love it, and some don’t. For those who are interested in trying it out, trust and communication are integral to the safety and pleasure of the act. Click here for my Anal 101 post.
No one – male or female – should engage in any sexual activity because others are doing so. That applies to freshman in college who are wondering if they are the only virgins on campus. (They aren’t.) That applies to a guy who wants to wait to have sex until he gets to know a girl, despite the fact that his buddies are all saying he should ‘seal the deal.’ (He shouldn’t, until he and the girl are ready.) And, that applies to anyone who is getting back into the dating scene and isn’t sure what he or she feels comfortable doing. If you aren't 100% sure about moving forward physically or emotionally, then you shouldn't do so. If a person won’t wait for you, then he or she isn’t the right fit as a sexual or long-term partner.
For the woman who received the comment that instigated this post:
A 2010 survey of 5,200+ people ages 14 to 70 found that 32% of women have had anal sex and 31.8% of heterosexual men have had anal sex during their lifetime. If you need more statistics, additional information is available here.
Your date is wrong on so many levels, and he was disrespectful to make you feel like you had to keep up with the Anal-Loving Joneses. If you continue to date him, make sure that he’s treating you well and not pressuring you in any way.
So, readers, did I miss anything? What are your thoughts on this issue?